22-24 Collier Road Apartments

22-24 Collier RoadThe 22-24 Collier Road Apartments is a three-story, brick building with Mediterranean Revival-style details. The roof is almost flat with low, hipped terra-cotta tile parapets at its north, east and west edges. Meanwhile, the two bays featuring the main entrances to the building are stucco-washed brick plinths that extend above the terra-cotta tile at the roof line and give the impression of towers. The building’s interior retains the original layout of 14 apartment units.
 
The 22-24 Collier Road Apartments was built in 1929 by real estate developers J. W. Jenkins and J. G. Crockett at the corner of Collier and Anjaco Roads. Interestingly, the name Anjaco was formed from the combination of the first two letters of the first, middle, and last name of Andrew Jackson Collier, a descendent of one of Atlanta’s earliest families and the long-time owner of the land along Collier Road prior to its development.
 
During the 1920s, many white middle- and upper-class residents were moving farther away from downtown Atlanta. They were spurred, in part, by access to streetcars and automobiles which made commuting from outward lying areas to the central business district feasible. At the same time, multi-family residences were becoming more acceptable with rising population densities and land values. Apartment buildings were increasingly built in Buckhead during the 1920s.  The 22-24 Collier Road Apartments is a good representative example of a small apartment building of the period that retains its historic character.
 
The 22-24 Collier Road Apartment building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2007.
 
Source:

National Register of Historic Places Registration Form for 22-24 Collier Road Apartments.

Photo credit: Historic Preservation Division, Georgia DNR. For permission to use the above photograph, please contact the Historic Preservation Division.