Mary Elizabeth Tyler House

Tyler House, front facadeTyler House, main facade

The Mary Elizabeth Tyler house is a Classical Revival-style residence that features a two-story pedimented portico supported by massive Corinthian columns. A one-story porch stretches the length of the primary façade and wraps around both sides of the home. Meanwhile, a balcony extends from the second story above the central entrance, which is bordered by sidelights and capped by a fanlight. Rear additions were made to the residence in 1977 and 2000.

 
In 1921, Tyler purchased 14 acres on Howell Mill Road and built her impressive residence, which was likely a showplace of the Klan in the early 1920s. Tyler died prematurely of arteriosclerosis in 1924. The residence has been home to numerous families since the 1920s that have no connection with the Klan.
 
The Mary Elizabeth Tyler House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2006 for its architectural significance and for its association with Mary Elizabeth Tyler, an important figure in one of America’s most disturbing social and political movements. The house displayed the wealth she obtained as a result of the explosive growth of the Ku Klux Klan in the early 1920s.  
 
*The National Register attempts to document a broad range of American history and foster awareness of both honorable and shameful patterns in our nation’s past.
  
Source:
 
Photo credit: Historic Preservation Division, Georgia DNR. For permission to use the above photographs, please contact the Historic Preservation Division.