Witham-Clark House

Witham-Clark House, front facadeWitham-Clark House, rear facade

The Witham-Clark House is a Colonial Revival style, U-shaped residence that rests atop a knoll overlooking Andrews Drive. The main portion of this red brick residence is two and one-half stories, while two-story, recessed wings are positioned on either side of the central block. The home’s main entranceway is flanked by fluted pilasters and capped by a simple yet heavy frieze, and a broken, scrolled pediment. A stone stringcourse visually indicates where the first floor transitions to the second, while stone quoins highlight the corners of the massive central portion of the home. In the rear, the house encircles a courtyard on three sides, while a stone walled garden stretches away from the main residence to a brick guest house and garage.

The Witham-Clark House was designed by J. Neel Reid, one of the most influential residential architects in early 20th century Atlanta, during the latter part of his career. Completed in 1926, the house was featured in the New York-based House and Garden magazine in January 1928. The Witham-Clark House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978 for its architectural significance.
 
Sources:
Mitchell, Jr., William R. J. Neel Reid Architect of Hentz, Reid & Adler and the Georgia School of Classicists. Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation, 1997.
 
 
Photo credit: Historic Preservation Division, Georgia DNR. For permission to use the above photographs, please contact the Historic Preservation Division.