Historic Randolph-Lucas House Moved to New Home in Ansley Park
On November 8, 2013, the historic Randolph-Lucas House was relocated from 2500 Peachtree Road in Buckhead to 78 Peachtree Circle in Ansley Park. The relocation was the culmination of nearly a year of planning on the part of Buckhead Heritage, NewTown Partners, the 2500 Peachtree Condominium Association, the City of Atlanta, and numerous other partners and contractors. NewTown Partners, an Atlanta-based economic development consulting firm focusing on distressed historic resources, purchased the Ansley Park property at 78 Peachtree Circle and subsequently financed the relocation of the house, which was donated by the Condominium Association. The mansion will serve as the private home of NewTown Partners’ founders, Christopher Jones and Roger Smith, returning the mansion to its residential roots for the first time in nearly 20 years.
Image: Roger Smith, Christopher Jones, Wright Mitchell and Erica Danylchak stand on the porch of the historic Randolph-Lucas House.
View a Slide Show of Photos Chronicling the Disassembly & Relocation Process.
Photos provided by Bob Helget, Erica Danylchak, Brian Keiser, Wright Mitchell, and Tim Small.
Watch a time lapse video of the disassembly of the Randolph-Lucas House at 2500 Peachtree Road during the fall of 2013:
Why So Significant?
The Randolph-Lucas was designated a Historic Building – Exterior by the City of Atlanta in 1990 for its historic, cultural, and architectural significance.
The house was built in 1924 for Hollins Nicholas Randolph, a great, great grandson of Thomas Jefferson and a prominent Atlanta attorney in the early 20th century. P. Thornton Marye, a respected Atlanta architect in the early twentieth century, designed the house based on Randolph’s ancestral home “Dunlora” in Albemarle County, Virginia, where Randolph was born in 1872. Marye had moved to Atlanta in 1904 after being awarded the contract for Atlanta’s Terminal Station. He is also credited with the designs for St. Luke’s Episcopal Church (1906) and the Fox Theatre (1929) in Atlanta and other large-scale commissions throughout the southeast. The Randolph-Lucas house, however, is one of the few known extant examples of his residential work. The Randolph-Lucas House is also a rare surviving example of the grand residential mansions that lined Peachtree Road during the early 20th century in Atlanta.
Image: Randolph-Lucas House Front Elevation, Courtesy of Christopher Bailey.
Buckhead Heritage recently partnered with the Cherokee Garden Library and the Chastain Park Conservancy to document the work of landscape designer William Lott Monroe, Sr. at Chastain Park. View the completed survey form for the Georgia Historic Landscape Initiative here.
Take a tour of Buckhead's modern architectural resources along Peachtree Road with our handy, print-friendly brochure!
In June 2015, Buckhead Heritage completed repairs and stabilization of headstones at Mt. Olive Cemetery, an historically significant African American burial ground adjacent to Frankie Allen Park. View before and after photographs.
Buckhead Heritage has completed an Interpretive Master Plan for Buckhead, which makes recommendations for integrating historic interpretation into parks, trails, and green spaces in the community through physical design, signage, and digital media tools. For more information on this exciting project, visit our Interpretation page.